About Me

My photo
Alexandria, VA
I am a busy working mom. Professionally I am a lifecoach,nonprofit fundraiser & manager, writer and editor. Most of my career has been in the nonprofit industry. I have done a few other things here and there along the way, which contribute to my background as a coach. I have two bold and beautiful children who add tremendously to my life. In 2009 I "put out my shingle" as a lifecoach. Reaching this milestone in my life is an acknowledgment of who I am authentically, and will allow me to use my experiences and innate gifts to help others. It's an exciting time in my life. I'm sure you'll hear more about it here.

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Blizzard of Feb 2010 – A Lesson in Patience and Gratitude


Those who know me well know that I am a CHRONIC A-type. Always busy. Always doing something, going somewhere, starting new projects. I like to say that it’s part of what makes me who I am.

Today is Tuesday, February 09, 2010 - four days after the now famous “Blizzard of 2010” that blanketed the Mid-Atlantic. Here in the Washington, DC area we got about 24”. As I am typing now, we are expecting another 10” – 20” in the coming hours. As a result, I’ve been at home and off of work since Friday afternoon. The kids are with their dad, so I’ve been in the house on my own. You may say, “Sounds great!” Truthfully, it has been, but I couldn’t get out of my own way to FULLY appreciate it. Until today.

January was a CRAZY month for me, for reasons I won’t get into right now. So I came into February tired and literally out of breath. Heart racing, the whole nine yards. So I will admit that when we ended up being closed for ½ day on Friday, I was looking forward to a long weekend alone.

Now that I’ve been indoors for four full days, I have been feeling a bit of cabin fever. I miss the kids. Having them with me during snow days provides a lot of energy – keeping them busy and fed and playing games – it’s fun. So the quiet is different. I have been keeping busy… not only with work, but also with building my business and catching up on personal projects. In the meantime I’ve been whining about being bored and claustrophobic.

I went to the store this morning, to stock up before the next storm arrives. It was as busy as you would expect. But a woman in the produce section made a comment that made me completely shift my perspective. After we exchanged mutterings about the snow, she said, “But you know what? We are blessed, because we could be in Haiti.” That statement made me stop in my tracks and shift from impatience to gratitude. There are so many people suffering right now, and I’m complaining because I am stuck at home, with heat, electricity and running water?

I thank God that I ran into that lady. For the rest of the day, I have been quiet and introspective, and grateful. Realizing that considering what my last 30 days were like, I should have been relishing this gift of solitude, not counting the hours until I can hurl myself back into the mix! I have done some work today, and also took the time to write (yay me!). But I’ve been thinking about my addiction to busyness, and how I can reclaim some order, purpose and serenity on a day-to-day basis. I have one of those jobs that will keep you busy 24/7 if you let it. I am grateful for that as well, because I enjoy it and I’m good at my profession. But I realize that I have to begin doing a better job of prioritizing my time and delegating – so that I can have more time for me. Like making time for exercise – which I have done woefully little of so far in 2010! I also need to spend more time building and promoting my business.

I don’t know how long I’ll be here in the house, but I am choosing to enjoy the time, rather than bemoan it as some type of inconvenience. Thank you Lord, for sending the right woman to cross my path today!

© T Ramsey 2/9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment