About Me

My photo
Alexandria, VA
I am a busy working mom. Professionally I am a lifecoach,nonprofit fundraiser & manager, writer and editor. Most of my career has been in the nonprofit industry. I have done a few other things here and there along the way, which contribute to my background as a coach. I have two bold and beautiful children who add tremendously to my life. In 2009 I "put out my shingle" as a lifecoach. Reaching this milestone in my life is an acknowledgment of who I am authentically, and will allow me to use my experiences and innate gifts to help others. It's an exciting time in my life. I'm sure you'll hear more about it here.

Friday, January 1, 2010

Let it go!

Happy New Year!

The thing I love about the turn of the year is the sense of possibility that so many people embrace. We all handle it in different ways.

Some of us focus on diet and exercise. Resolving to live a healthier life is always good! Some decide to embark upon career changes, improve finances or other business matters.
Some decide to get more organized or tackle a big project. Some go as far as to explore a long-held dream or make some significant change in their lives. And some go out and do all of the above!

Today I want to explore the value of Letting Go. And no, this isn’t exactly rocket science. But please humor me anyway and let’s explore the concept. Sometimes we get weighed down by the baggage we carry around. Maybe someone hurt you, either intentionally or unintentionally. Maybe you are recuperating from a failed relationship, or a career setback like losing your job. Maybe you have the habit of taking on others’ burdens, and it’s getting harder to bear. Maybe there is just a feeling of discontent that is keeping you from enjoying life as you should.

It’s ok to let it go. Carrying that around with you robs you of your joy and the energy necessary to tackle all those great things you decided to pursue this year!

Today is January 1, 2010. If you did not take the time to rid yourself of any of these energy sappers, I encourage you to take a few minutes to do it. TODAY! It’s never too late! Refuse to go another moment into this new year with that extra baggage.

Here are a few suggestions:

  • Pray. Whatever your faith background, spend some time in the presence of God – talking about what is weighing you down. Then give it to Him. The Bible reads, “Cast your cares on the LORD and he will sustain you” Psalm 55:22
  • Meditate. This is an alternative to prayer.
  • Literally “throw it away”. Go to a body of water or clear field. Chose the number of stones that represent what you want to get rid of. One by one, toss these stones into the water, to signify each of your burdens. Name them as you are throwing them far away. Claim your new reality then and there!
  • Shred it! Write the things you are letting go on individual pieces of paper. Then either throw them in a fire, or shred them and throw them away. There is a recent tradition in New York City called “Good Riddance Day”. On 12/29/09, New Yorkers brought all their unwanted memories of 2009 to Times Square Monday and put them in a shredder.

You get the gist. Embrace all that this new year has to offer by lightening your load! And in closing, I state a common refrain.. “Live each day as if it’s your last!“

May peace and blessings abound for you in 2010 and beyond!!

© TRamsey Jan 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment