About Me

My photo
Alexandria, VA
I am a busy working mom. Professionally I am a lifecoach,nonprofit fundraiser & manager, writer and editor. Most of my career has been in the nonprofit industry. I have done a few other things here and there along the way, which contribute to my background as a coach. I have two bold and beautiful children who add tremendously to my life. In 2009 I "put out my shingle" as a lifecoach. Reaching this milestone in my life is an acknowledgment of who I am authentically, and will allow me to use my experiences and innate gifts to help others. It's an exciting time in my life. I'm sure you'll hear more about it here.

Saturday, October 16, 2010

Walking the Talk....

Most people who know me understand that I am absolutely passionate about my commitment to breast cancer research - with the ultimate goal of one day finding a cure!

Today is day 2 of the 2010 Susan Komen 3Day for the Cure in Philadelphia. My team, the Bosom Angels, includes 5 beautiful and vivacious women who have committed to each raise $2300 or more and walk 60 miles over a 3 day weekend. We've collectively raised over $14,000 this year, and counting! I am so proud to be a part of this team, and in particular, of our team captain, Leesa, who is a singularly amazing woman.

This year, I won't lie, I'm hurting. I have planter faciitis(sp?) as a result of overly agressive training several weeks ago. I am feeling each and every mile that I walk. But that only makes the purposefulness of it even more real.

But the larger aspect of this entire experience is NOT about the walking, but about CONNECTING, about BEING. It's amazing to be in this atmosphere where over 2000 men and women commit to walk, and hundreds of volunteers come together for one single goal. Each year I am even more inspired. There is laughter, there are tears, there is determination, and let's not forget the dancing and outrageous outfits!

Here's the bigger question, which I was discussing with a fellow walker this morning. What if every day was like this? What if everyone was kind, open, trusting and completely connected to each moment of the day? What if people cheered for even the smallest accomplishment? What if competition was removed from the equation, and we all pulled together for a larger goal?

What if?

Well, why not?

What if each of us decided to follow these principles, starting now.

I'll give it a try! Won't you join me?

No comments:

Post a Comment