About Me

My photo
Alexandria, VA
I am a busy working mom. Professionally I am a lifecoach,nonprofit fundraiser & manager, writer and editor. Most of my career has been in the nonprofit industry. I have done a few other things here and there along the way, which contribute to my background as a coach. I have two bold and beautiful children who add tremendously to my life. In 2009 I "put out my shingle" as a lifecoach. Reaching this milestone in my life is an acknowledgment of who I am authentically, and will allow me to use my experiences and innate gifts to help others. It's an exciting time in my life. I'm sure you'll hear more about it here.

Sunday, November 14, 2010

On "Colored Girls" and Black Love


Today I saw Tyler Perry's "For Colored Girls", which was based on the play "For Colored Girls Who Have Considered Suicide When the Rainbow Is Enuf" by Ntozake Shange. The show left me feeling somber and introspective. Without going into all the fine points, the movie profiled the lives of 7 Black women - each finding themselves in difficult circumstances. Most of the stories unfortunately center around bad relationships, which lead to sad - even tragic results. From date rape to back alley abortions to spousal/child abuse... one situation was more heart-wrenching than the last.

Although the movie is set in the present day, the original play was written in the 70s. I found myself hopefully pondering whether things are better now. But I was dismayed to actually realize that as a matter of fact, we still deal with abusive relationships (men on women and vice versa), love triangles, abortion and unwanted pregnancies, and othe themes explored in the movie. This in the midst of an over-caffeinated, "give me more, RIGHT NOW" society which seems to have lost its moral compass. One thing that has changed, though. I don't think that there is quite as much "blame it on the black man" mentality. At least I hope not. The themes explored in the movie are not unique to the black community.. but universal. Also, we have become alot more multi-cultural -
so couples cross color lines very often.

SO WHAT ABOUT BLACK LOVE?

It still nagged me to think about the idea of this movie being made without somehow catching us up with the times in this regard. I almost wished that there were some interracial relationships, so that it wasn't so much a "good Black woman being let down by Black men" dynamic.

When I look around, on one hand I see my fair share of single and divorced black women and men. But I also see my share of strong marriages who serve as rays of hope. And I see my share of amazingly talented, strong and loving Black men... along with beautiful vibrant, talented Black women.

So for my vote... I enjoyed the movie - it was very well made and interesting tribute to the beautiful, often haunting poetry that Ms. Shange originially wrote - delivered in the midst of a motion picture. Very strong performances were delivered by all.

But being the perrennial optimist that I am, I still believe in the power of Black love.

No comments:

Post a Comment