About Me

My photo
Alexandria, VA
I am a busy working mom. Professionally I am a lifecoach,nonprofit fundraiser & manager, writer and editor. Most of my career has been in the nonprofit industry. I have done a few other things here and there along the way, which contribute to my background as a coach. I have two bold and beautiful children who add tremendously to my life. In 2009 I "put out my shingle" as a lifecoach. Reaching this milestone in my life is an acknowledgment of who I am authentically, and will allow me to use my experiences and innate gifts to help others. It's an exciting time in my life. I'm sure you'll hear more about it here.

Sunday, November 6, 2011

DO YOU TRUST HIM?

Trust in the Lord with all thy might and lean not unto your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and HE shall direct your path. Proverbs 3:5-6

This is one of my favorite scriptures. But I sometimes don't abide by it. How many times have you said, "I'm putting it in God's hands," only to take it back and possibly make things worse? How many times have to worried over something that is out of your control? Most of the time money is involved, right? Or maybe it's family drama or job stress.

Jesus's teachings tell us not to worry, "Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?" Matt 6: 26-27 But how many of us heed this advice? If you worry all the time, you are definitely not trusting God. And you are truthfully wasting your time and energy. But this is part of the human condition. Some of us actually are able to truly walk by faith and not by sight, and enjoy lower level of stress and happier lives as a result. What about you? Are you a worry wort? Or do you trust God to lead and guide you, and believe that even when the circumstances don't look like it, that things will work out to your good in the end?


Here are 4 tips to improve your faith.



  1. Be grateful. Most of us when we pause to think about it have much more to be grateful for than we assume. There is a saying, "I stopped complaining about the shoes I wear when I met a man with no feet." When was the last time you counted your blessings? If this feels difficult, try keeping a daily gratitude journal. It will help you realize all that God is already blessing you with, instead of the difficulties you are facing.


  2. Help someone. We all have our burdens, and sometimes it feel unbearable. I don't know what your situation is. Maybe you are struggling financially, having a problem at work or with your family, or fighting depression. Sometimes it helps to take the focus off of yourself and see how you can contribute to someone else's life. It doesn't have to be monetary. Sometimes the gift of your time, a smile or an understanding ear can help ease another's burden - and yours as well. Try it!


  3. Praise God! Cultivate a spirit like Paul, who was able to glorify God even from a prison cell. Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks, for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you." 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18


  4. Break your routine. Sometimes a fresh perspective can make all the difference. Take a new route to work. Try out a new recipe, or take a bath instead of a shower. Build 10 minutes into your day JUST FOR YOU. Play music while you are working on your computer. Listen to an audio book on the way to work or indulge in a frivolous magazine. Eat ice cream! Whatever can bring a smile to your face and take your mind off your troubles is worth trying.


Remember - most of this is more about attitude than anything. When you begin looking at the good instead of the bad, it's easier to trust that God is working it out on your behalf.



Blessings to you...

No comments:

Post a Comment