About Me

My photo
Alexandria, VA
I am a busy working mom. Professionally I am a lifecoach,nonprofit fundraiser & manager, writer and editor. Most of my career has been in the nonprofit industry. I have done a few other things here and there along the way, which contribute to my background as a coach. I have two bold and beautiful children who add tremendously to my life. In 2009 I "put out my shingle" as a lifecoach. Reaching this milestone in my life is an acknowledgment of who I am authentically, and will allow me to use my experiences and innate gifts to help others. It's an exciting time in my life. I'm sure you'll hear more about it here.

Sunday, December 13, 2009

New Decade… New You!

Hello friends!

Can you believe that in a couple of weeks we will be entering a new decade? A good friend talked about this a couple of weeks ago and it made me really start thinking.

As with many of us, the oncoming of a new year always sends me into introspection mode. I am not as much a fan of resolution setting as I am of goal setting and forward motion. But it usually begins with looking at myself, and looking back – not dwelling but noticing lessons and things to celebrate as well. So this year, I decided to do this following exercise, which was very enlightening for me. Reviewing the decade!

If you are ready, spend a few minutes and let’s explore! You might find it enlightening. Maybe grab a pen and paper, or journal if that is something you use. Find a quiet spot and think:

  1. What was your life like 10 years ago? Think back. How old were you? What type of work did you do? Were you in school? Did you have children? Married or in a relationship? What about your spiritual life and physical and emotional health?
  2. What resonates for you about that time? Was it a good time for you or not? Have you made any changes since then?
  3. What’s different now? Look at your current situation: Your family, your work/educational life. Your physical, emotional and spiritual life. What’s changed? What’s stayed the same?
  4. What can you celebrate? In ten years there must have been some good times. Think back and enjoy the happy memories. Pat yourself on the back for any achievements that you have accomplished. Sometimes we spend more time dwelling on the negative than the positive. We worry and bemoan what’s not right without taking time to enjoy the good. Think about what you can do to further, replicate, or recreate those good times. What worked for you? We can learn from our past – in both the good and the bad.
  5. What needs to change? Are there things that you have known that you need to do something about but haven’t? What needs to change, and what are you doing about it…. or not? Maybe you have already begun or completed a cycle of change that has really made a big difference in your life. Again – congratulate yourself! Growth is a wonderful thing, and sometimes it takes courage to embrace the change that is needed in our lives. If there is something that needs to be addressed. Take the time NOW to map out a plan. You don’t have to wait until January 1, you know!
  6. Looking forward – what results are you declaring for yourself in 2010? Maybe a decade is too much to look at in one sitting, but maybe you’re up for it. At least start with the year. A year from now, when you look at the past year, what do you want to be different? Again, think about what you can do NOW to start that process.

I am such a big believer in embracing life. Tomorrow is not promised to any of us. May God bless and keep you and yours in this coming year and beyond, and may all of your dreams come true!

Trina Ramsey
Perspectives Plus Coaching
www.perspectivespluscoaching.com
© December 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment