About Me

My photo
Alexandria, VA
I am a busy working mom. Professionally I am a lifecoach,nonprofit fundraiser & manager, writer and editor. Most of my career has been in the nonprofit industry. I have done a few other things here and there along the way, which contribute to my background as a coach. I have two bold and beautiful children who add tremendously to my life. In 2009 I "put out my shingle" as a lifecoach. Reaching this milestone in my life is an acknowledgment of who I am authentically, and will allow me to use my experiences and innate gifts to help others. It's an exciting time in my life. I'm sure you'll hear more about it here.

Saturday, August 27, 2011

Who are you?

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about what matters.” - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.


When asked that question, how do you normally respond? Most people talk about their children or other family members, where they are from, or their occupation. But do any of those things describe who YOU are… inside? If this is your typical response - try again. Take a moment to think about it. Think about what makes YOU tick. So let me ask again… Who are you? I hope I get to talk to you to hear your answer. In the meantime I encourage you to take a moment to really answer for yourself, and to make some decisions about what this means about “what’s next” for you. If you journal, write about it!

My next question is… are you doing what you were meant to do here on earth? I believe that God put us all here for a purpose, and that one of life’s great quests. How is it going for you? Henry David Thoreau once wrote, “Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them.” I pray that each of us has a much richer experience than that! Are you singing your song?

I am watching a television special on the dedication of the Martin Luther King, Jr. memorial. It’s very inspiring. This was a man who was unwavering in his commitment to standing for his purpose – and ultimately was killed because of it. Not everyone has the opportunity to make such an enormous impact as Dr. King, but I submit that we should all strive for living our lives more fully. As a coach, I am inspired by people like Dr. King, and also by others who choose to fully embrace their own identities. For some it’s through adventure – going on fantastic trips or taking on interesting challenges. For some it’s through creative ventures – song, painting, writing, etc. For some it is by being fully present in whatever they do… whether it’s baking a loaf of bread, playing games with their children, or volunteering for a charity. You may have heard the expression, “Do you”. I encourage you to do JUST THAT.

Here are a few ideas for getting started.

Introducing my new group coaching series! My life. My time. My turn!
This is a 10-week program for self-starters who are ready to kick things up a notch! The group will be limited to 10 people to maintain intimacy. During each session we will explore a specific aspect of what it takes to live life on your own terms, without thinking of it as “being selfish”. You can sign up for a session at a time, or the whole series for a 10% discount.

To register visit: http://fallcoachingseries.eventbrite.com/.

I hope can join us – or please feel free to pass the word on to a friend. I am hosting a free intro call this coming Tuesday, 8/30 at 8pm EST. Call-in info is below.
• Conference Dial-in Number: (559) 546-1000
• Participant Access Code: 996761#

Questions? Call Trina at 202-384-0797 or email me at tramsey43@gmail.com.

Strengthsfinders 2.0

This is an interesting assessment developed by Gallup that helps people to identify their strengths, rather than personalities. The idea is that by focusing on our strengths, we can live a more fulfilling and enjoyable life (instead of focusing on improving weaknesses). I recently took the assessment, and found that my top 5 strengths are: Positivity, Individualization, Relator, Woo (stands for winning others over – this one makes me giggle), and Communication. I found it very affirming considering my decision to pursue coaching. You also learn about ways to further utilize your strengths.

Learn more at: http://strengths.gallup.com/110659/Homepage.aspx

Note: This assessment tool comes in two forms. The book describes all of the strengths (there are 34) and includes a unique code to allow you to take the assessment online. For this reason it is NOT a good idea to buy a used book because it won’t include the code. Alternately you can purchase a code online and forego the book for a slightly lower price.

Until next time, be safe, and “Do YOU”!

Fondly,
Trina

No comments:

Post a Comment